Quin's answers

1) If Yabu was...
... a time of day, he would be the afternoon, uh around 4:00-5:00 pm. It's the perfect comfy time when the sun shines not too brightly but just warm enough to make you fall asleep. Everything about Yabu is comforting and relaxing, and although he used to be very hyper, now he's the type of person that I want to fall asleep in his arms, a very reliable and precious friend, who would stand by you no matter what. For me, the afternoon is how he feels - I don't feel rushed, or tired, or busy, it's the perfect time to be with your friends or hang out at home. Yabu's friendly aura gives me that feeling. =)
... a season, he would be the spring. His smile can melt any snow *cough Shoon cough* (-bricked-) and his voice is like the sweet singing of the birds. I'm getting cheesy. Okay. =P Spring has the lively feeling of a new season cycle and plants and animals as well as people are lively again, and Yabu's atmosphere of calm, but new and freshness gives me that feeling.
... an animal, he would be the dog.
He could be the greatest friend and loyal, or so I think, though the recent HSJ is all upsetting and everything. He also knows how to lead, and protect 'the house' as dogs were given the job to do. He was given the role of a leader even at a young age, because of his ability to bring people together and make them work in unity. And of course, as sometimes dogs do, Yabu craves attention, and wag their tails. Even though it looks not as much now, he even said on a recent interview (that Kami-chan translated =D) that he wants to be spoiled! How cute is that~ He even looks like a cute puppy that needs to be pet!
... a flower, he would be the lily. The reason I say so, is because Lilies are elegant and poised, just like how Yabu grew up to be. Also the flower is mostly
one colour, but can be very bright and extravagant. Yabu's specialty is singing, and he can't do fancy things like acrobatics or breakdance - but with that singing, he could be the brightest person on stage. In the beginning, lilies are bulbs and they grow into a flower. I think that's how Yabu is - he held so much potential when he was young, and as he grew he slowly brought out that potential and became a talented, charismatic young man. =] Also, in one of the Kocho kocho battles, where they had to name a flower, Yabu named the lily. ^^
... a kind of weather, he would be a spring drizzle. It's soothing and calming, just like Yabu's voice and his attitude. I love listening to the rain fall, the rain hitting the rocks, the pavement, the window - and same with Yabu's voice, it's a soft, slow but constant melody that you want to hear over and over again. It's not a storm that makes you fear or close the window, but the kind that makes you want to open the window and maybe feel a little bit of the water on your face, a bit of the chilly wind. Sort of makes you adventurous, curious, and calls out, until when you lose yourself in its bliss. ^_^ (Yup, cheese queen right here. pun intended. >_>)
... a sound, he would be the silence. I don't mean silence as in no sound, or the awkward silence that forms - I mean the kind that comes up after your friends all laugh, and then the silence of mutual understanding and feelings that no more words need to be spoken. Yabu used to be talkative (yappy I say) but now in Ya-Ya-yah he's gotten to the point he doesn't need to talk with the other members to convey his feelings, ne?
... a place, he would be your backyard. Yabu has the feeling of home, but also of play and adventure, and everyone's adventure starts at their backyard, right? (well, except those like me that didn't have a backyard in childhood) It's the perfect place to play and have fun, invite your friends, start a game, have a party. The place doesn't have to be at an expensive restaurant or an amusement park, you can be happy right in your backyard. I think Yabu's simplicity, (and I don't mean intellectually, I mean he isn't a crazy maze,) his freshness gives the feeling of a backyard setting.
... a taste, he would be bittersweet. On the outside he may not be as appealing, in terms of appearance, as other JE boys may be. (says other people, not me!! I think Yabu's hot. xD) It's when you really get to know him, that you taste the sweet, yet eccentric part of him that makes you come back for more, even if you have to face the bitter part first. After a while, you learn to anticipate the sweet taste, and enjoy the bitter part too! =)
... a scent, he would be freshly baked goodies. (pies, cakes, etc) It's the tantalizing smell that you can't resist but find out what it is!
... a color, he would be red. Yes, this is influenced by how JE clothed him, but it suits his personality. Red usually stands for passion and love, no? He sings with passion, that's for sure. Although juniors don't get to sing live on TV shows, Yabu always sung into the mic anyway. So sometimes you can hear two Yabu's singing at the same time, one studio-recorded and the other singing live. Also, in the YabuPi produced Shokura episode on 'Love', before he sang 'Just Wanna Lovin' You', he
talked about how singing a love song, he would want to be really passionate. (Or something or other. =P) Also, red represents courage and sacrifice, as it represents the hero's blood. I see Yabu as the, fearless leader type, if not a bit shy - he's definitely sincere in what he does. He knows when to give and take, and I think red is a perfect colour for him.

2) How do you see Yabu? (make a short description of Yabu with his virtues and faults)

Yabu? He's mostly indescribable. When I try to explain what I love about him, it's never comes out exactly what I mean. But the main reason I love Yabu so much - is that he's imperfect, to the point of perfection. Like when he messes up singing, or loses at games, or does something awkward, the shy smile that follows is his appeal, in my opinion. The good things about Yabu, is that he really loves being on stage. Even though he sort of lost his brattiness after his voice broke, when he sings he does it with his heart nonetheless, and dances with so much power that sometimes may not look decent to critics. But I love that imperfection. His dance and his singing, people may judge as not so good anymore, but how Yabu puts all of his heart into singing, is his best quality. Also, times like MC sections during Shokura, most people look for a funny or a cool answer to a question, no? Hikaru makes his answers comical so that he earns a laugh from the audience. And Taiyo, well, Taiyo's awkwardness gets a laugh from the audience too. But Yabu, his answers are quite normal - but also very deep - however it doesn't have that much of a reaction from the audience. Example, during Takky's project 'auditions', when juniors came up to choose a topic to talk about - Yabu began talking about how his sister applied for JE for him and how he didn't want to do it at first, and his changed views on his job now - it wasn't funny, it didn't make Takky laugh, instead he said it sincerely. Maybe in parts like that he fails a little a being an entertainer. But he loves the stage no matter what, and he does everything sincerely.I think, that maybe the only reason that's keeping Yabu inside HSJ, is that he's afraid he won't be able to stand on the stage again. Just maybe. I think one of Yabu's weaknesses, is that he gets discouraged easily. Or that's what I see. He is also embarrassed easily. He's the type who would suddenly look fearful and hold back if he ever sang a note off key in a live performance, now that he knows his voice has broken. (Unlike people with much much confidence, like Tegoshi from NEWS, who will just keep singing). Back in the 2003 Ya-Ya-yah shows, there was a game that had a counter attached to a 'tail', that you had to shake by dancing/moving/jumping around, to raise it's count. Yabu was never good at that. xD He was always embarassed, and never reacted very well. He loses confidence fast, and it makes me want to hug him more and tell him it's okay to make mistakes.
I guess, I can't really say the difference of Yabu's virtues and faults, as the question asks for - to me, his faults are his virtues and his virtues are also his faults. His sincerity, of course is a good thing, but probably doesn't earn him much love from younger fans, or maybe fans that look for cute and funny characters. And his confidence that only shows during a stage performance may turn off some people. But to me, that imperfection, is perfection, and really, uh, Yabu is - perfection.
(...What? Short description? Oops. xP What is this, a love letter?? +_+)

3) How has Yabu changed from 2003 to now?

Yabu definitely grew up right. XD He became a young gentleman, just like a prince as his nickname is. The main thing I see though, is how he retracted - I think he was scared. Before his voice broke, back in 2003-4 he wrote in magazine interviews that his specialty was singing and soccer. Now he just writes soccer, and I remember a translation I read where Yabu said he doesn't like his singing voice. He lost confidence on his singing, and now instead of making cute faces or pushing his face into the camera like he used to, he stands there like a mature leader or sorts. Like in the famous
Universal Studio SP episode of Ya3 TV show, where the boys + Midorinu rode JAWS, and Yabu hung onto Shoon for his life and 'cried'. Of course, it was pretty much obvious he was not crying, but trying to appeal to the camera. =P But I don't think I can imagine the Yabu now doing that sort of thing. It's too, 'over' for him now I guess. Though I love both sides of Yabu, I want Yabu to act a bit more, uh immature again. Suddenly so much pressure to become better came on him - because really, before his voice broke he had no 'competitors' in the junior section that was a 'threat' to him so he could fool around and have fun. His voice is broken now and came along other popular juniors, so he maybe feels like he needs to do more. Maybe that's why he's accepted HSJ, because he thinks he can't do it otherwise. Yabu definitely became more reserved since 2003. But of course, that dorky side of his still pops up from time to time. =) (When he's with Ya-Ya-yah or Hikaru, more than less of the times)

4) Is Yabu leader material? Yes/No, because...

Yes, I think he is. Although being leader may mean to be the most mature, most knowledgeable or quickest on the uptake or such - I think Yabu is a great leader because before all that, he's a friend. He looks after everyone in the group, or that's the feeling I get when I see him. Shoon, is the oldest out of the 4-member Ya-Ya-yah - some say he's probably fit as a leader as well. But for me, I think Yabu has this feeling of welcoming and easy-to-talk-to aura, while Shoon is sort of distant in that kind. When Hikaru came into Ya-Ya-yah, Yabu and Hikaru became the new duo pretty fast, ne? He's also close with many juniors/JE boys outside of Ya3, he's very sociable in that sense.

5) Do you think Yabu has an important role in HSJ, or a lesser role than he had in Ya-Ya-yah?

Honestly, I don't know. Right now, HSJ = Yamada/Yuto/Chinen. But JE IS trying to pimp Yabu more I think... but I also don't see any enthusiasm from Yabu's part. Now, if the 10 members are asked to do a self-introduction, Yabu will always say, 'I'm the oldest of the group, yoroshiku' or something or other. It's not, 'Yabu Kota desu, soccer ga ichiban daisuki desu~' [I'm Yabu Kota, I love soccer the most] or 'Yabu Kota desu, oden ga suki desu!' [I'm Yabu Kota, I like oden!]. This is just an example of course... but really, I don't see Yabu being pimped or pimping himself. He's now known as, 'the oldest in the group'. If that's a bigger role than what he was in Ya3, I really don't know. Because, I'm guessing Yabu sort of is the HSBest leader now? Though no official words have been said. Leader of 4 people, leader of 10 people. If you look at it numerically, I suppose you can say his role is bigger in HSJ. Whether or not Yabu is likening himself to this new role is another story. Even if the role is bigger, he's not getting recognized at all for it, so maybe it's better to say that his 'smaller' role in Ya-Ya-yah, has much more 'impact' in contrast to his new image/role.

6) How do you think Yabu has taken the break-up of Ya-Ya-yah and his debut with HSJ?

As I said, I don't really see Yabu pimping himself in HSJ. It looks to me as if he's just sort of given up and letting the world do what it wants. The problem with his image in HSJ - is that he now has to go back to being 'cute' again. After his voice broke, JE focused on making Ya-Ya-yah a more teen, adult, mature group, giving them songs that are more romance-related, solos that are more mature - and outfits that show their growth. Yabu showed everyone his mature side. But HSJ, he now has to sort of, return to that era where he was all bounce and happiness. Not that he can't do that or anything, but maybe that's a too much of a gap for Yabu to jump over again. It looks to me, that if he was told Ya-Ya-yah could debut at any moment, he would come running back to Ya-Ya-yah. As I said before, Yabu loves the stage. In Ya-Ya-yah, more or less, he got spotlight, and whether or not Shoon or Taiyo got no spotlight that's another problem; the fact is Yabu got the most spotlight and camera time. He was, 'the singer'. Now, in HSJ he is no longer, 'the singer', he's the 'oldest one'. I donno how Yabu is taking that right now, because frankly I haven't seen him much lately. He basically doesn't have as much screentime now, he has so much more control in Ya-Ya-yah. Yabu's expression from the Christmas SP of SC, I think everyone could tell it was
pretty dark. (Cap stolen from Yui-chan) But I think, if Johnny gave him a choice, saying he could return to Ya-Ya-yah as a junior again, or stay in HSJ as a debuted senior, then (-dies-) he might stay in HSJ. Repeatedly I said he loves the stage. Of course if Ya-Ya-yah was to debut, he would return ASAP. But if Ya-Ya-yah is going to remain a more or less permanent junior group, then Yabu might go for the stage. x_X But I guess I don't REALLY blame him for that, he said ever since when he was 12 that his biggest dream was stardom. Yet, I do think, that Ya-Ya-yah is definitely a huge impact and a huge part of his life, and he wouldn't let go of it unless he had to, unless it was necessary to achieve his dreams in some way. He's just human, I guess. (._.) Probably why he hasn't taken dramatic action like quitting or refusing to go to HSJ or something. This applies to Hikaru as well, I think, and the best they could do is look nostalgic at mentions of their original band, like Christmas SP SC.

Gah. wrote too much. +_+
Anyway, the point is ... Happy Birthday Yabucchi! XDDDD

submitted by Quin

permanent link ::